Did you know that August 8th is International Cat Day? How did this special day come to be, and what are some fun ways to celebrate it? In this post, we will learn about the history of International Cat Day. Then, we will share some ideas for how you can celebrate this day with your cat.
What is International Cat Day, and where did it come from?
International Cat Day was created in 2002 by the International Fund for Animal Welfare to raise cat awareness. The first human record of cats dates back to Ancient Egyptian Civilization culture. They were protectors against snakes, scorpions, and evil during the First Dynasty.
After the collapse of the Egyptian Dynasty, cats could be found everywhere across the world. Most people use them for pest control since they are such good hunters. They would help keep the mice and insects out of the houses and gardens.
Since then, cats have flourished and can be found in over 45 million homes across the United States.
How to Celebrate International Cat Day
If You Already Have a Cat...
If you already have a cat, you can celebrate this day with them in many ways.
Here are ten ideas:
- Make sure they have plenty of toys to play with. A bored cat is an unhappy cat!
- Spend time playing with them. This can help strengthen the bond you share.
- Give them plenty of affection. Most cats love being petted and scratched behind their ears!
- Offer them their favorite food or treats. Bribery always works wonders!
- Take them on a nice long walk outdoors to get some exercise and fresh air. Please ensure they have a harness and leash on so they don't get lost!
Let them roam around safely enclosed areas like a garden or backyard. Please don't leave them by themselves, as they seem to wonder. Ever heard the saying, "curiosity killed the cat"?
- Clean their litter box regularly. (Trust me, this is NOT one of your favorite tasks, but it needs to be done!)
Provide your kitty with a warm place to sleep, such as a comfortable bed or even an old towel that's been warmed up in the dryer. They love to be warm.
- Make sure they have ample supplies of water available at all times.
- Finally, just enjoy spending time with your beloved feline friend! They truly are one of God's most amazing creatures.
If You Don't Already Have a Cat...
If you don't have a cat, no worries! You can also celebrate this day!
- Adopt a Cat! There are many cats in shelters across the United States and the world. So, if you don't have a feline friend and want to have one, you can certainly go to a shelter to find your fur-ever feline friend.
- Can't adopt, then donate. The shelters can always use some extra food, blankets, and even money to help take care of the cats in the shelter. You can even donate some of your time. Kitties love to get pets too!
International Cat Day is a special day to celebrate our feline friends. Whether you're a cat lover or just appreciate their independent spirit, cats make great pets.
There are many ways to celebrate your feline friends, both big and small. From simply spending time with them, giving them extra love and attention, or donating to a local animal shelter, there are lots of things you can do to show your kitty just how much you care.
And don't forget – cats provide plenty of benefits for their humans too! They keep us company, help reduce stress, and even improve our overall health. How will you be celebrating International Cat Day this year?