What is National Dog Day?🐶
National Dog Day is a day to celebrate our four-legged friends and promote responsible pet ownership. It was started in 2004 by animal advocate & pet and family lifestyle expert Colleen Paige.
National Dog Day is an annual event celebrated on August 26th to bring awareness to the number of dogs currently in rescue centers, encourage adoption, and celebrate all breeds and mixes.
Their motto? "Saving 10,000 Dogs - One Day at a Time".
Why should You Celebrate National Dog Day?🐶
All a dog wants to do is love you and to be loved. Dogs are unique, courageous, sensitive, and sentient beings that deserve compassion and respect. On National Dog Day, organizations across the United States will be holding adoption events and fundraising for dog rescue groups.
National Dog Day is a day to celebrate our canine friends, honor them with proper pet care, share their unconditional love with others, and give back through donations to animal welfare organizations.
There's a lot of pressure to make National Dog Day perfect for our four-legged friends, but it doesn't have to be complicated. Take the time to spoil them with some of their favorite things like treats or a new toy. Or, if they love going outside, take them on a walk or let them play at the dog park!
It's also important not to forget about the loving humans in your household. They love spending time with Fido too--make sure you find something they both enjoy doing together, like tossing around a tennis ball or watching TV curled up on the couch!
Check out NationalDogDay.com for some more fun ideas!
Celebrate National Dog Day by Giving Them Salmon Oil for Health
Salmon oil for dogs is a great way to supplement their diet with essential fatty acids. These fatty acids are important for overall health and can help with a variety of issues, including:
- Skin and coat health. Salmon oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to promote healthy skin and coat. These fatty acids help to keep the skin moisturized and the coat shiny and healthy.
- Joint health. Salmon oil can help to reduce inflammation and pain in the joints. This can be helpful for dogs with arthritis or other joint problems.
- Heart health. Salmon oil can help to improve heart health by reducing cholesterol and triglycerides. This can help to lower the risk of heart disease and other cardiovascular problems.
- Immunity. Salmon oil can help to boost the immune system and fight off infection. This can be helpful for dogs with allergies or other immune system problems.
- Cognitive function. Salmon oil can help to improve cognitive function in older dogs. This can help to reduce the risk of dementia and other age-related cognitive decline.
Fun Facts About Dogs 🐶
- Dog noseprints are as distinctive as human fingerprints. No two are exactly alike and can be used to identify them.
- Having a stressful day? Petting a dog is scientifically proven to lower blood pressure. Simply walking your dog has lots of health (and social) benefits, as well.
- The Labrador Retriever is the most popular breed in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain.
- The most famous male dog names are Max and Buddy. The most popular female dog names are Bella and Molly.
Top 5 breeds of Dog in America 🐶
1. Labrador Retriever -
This is a family-friendly, intelligent, and fun-loving breed. It has a strong desire to please its owners and a very gentle disposition. Adopt these lovely dogs from registered breeders to make sure you get healthy properly cared-for puppies.
2. German Shepherd -
This breed enjoys participating in outdoor activities for dogs and needs lots of mental & physical stimulation.
3. Golden Retriever -
A family-friendly pet with a fantastic demeanor. Because they love to run and play, they’re a great fit for families with young children. They are also skilled workers making them great companions, guide dogs, and search-and-rescue dogs.
4. Bull Dog -
With a highly lovable disposition they make great companions and are very calm. Adaptable and docile, Bulldogs do not need much exercise; these laid back dogs prefer to stay home and relax with their pet parents most of the time.
5. Beagle -
These low-maintenance dogs have a smooth coat and are both peaceful and cheerful. They do require some exercise and these hounds enjoy exploring and keeping their noses active.
To make National Dog Day special for your pup, you don’t need to do much. Spend time with them and give them all of their favorite things! If they love going outside, then go on a walk or play at the dog park together. We want to see pictures from the day, so tag us @vitalpetlife in your post and use the hashtag #nationaldogday!