We’re celebrating National Seafood Month here at Vital Pet Life with MSC. We’re committed to promoting sustainable seafood and working together to safeguard our ocean and seafood supplies. We work together with the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) to raise awareness about ending overfishing and rebuilding the ocean for generations to come through our commitment to MSC certified sustainable seafood, such as our Salmon Oil.
MSC certified seafood is wild seafood that has been independently verified as environmentally sustainable according to MSC’s sustainable fisheries standard, and is easily identifiable by the blue fish logo on seafood products. MSC’s international collaboration of partners -- scientists, NGOs, fisheries, seafood companies and retailers work hand in hand to ensure seafood is sustainable. This means
■ Seafood is caught from populations with healthy numbers
■ Seafood is fished with minimal environmental impact
■ Fishing is effectively managed and complies with all relevant laws.
Concerns for our ocean are driving a new wave of consumer activism globally. Pet families and consumers are also increasingly making their voice heard for sustainable seafood.
A study was conducted in 2020 by GlobeScan, an independent research and strategy consultancy. It is one of the largest global surveys of seafood consumers, involving more than 20,000 people across 23 countries including 5700 across North America:
- 7 in 10 (70%) of seafood consumers would like to hear more from companies about the sustainability of their fish products (We hear you at Vital Pet Life!)
- Nearly 9 in 10 (88%) seafood consumers want better information so they can be confident they’re not buying unsustainable fish or seafood products
Sustainability shouldn’t just be a buzzword when it comes to seafood. When customers see the word sustainable on seafood products, it should mean that their purchase supports improvements to how our ocean is fished. That’s why we are committed to working with the MSC and offering certified sustainable seafood. So we are sharing four reasons to choose sustainable seafood for your family and pets during Seafood Month and beyond:
1. Choosing MSC certified seafood actually supports improvements on the water for long-term dedication to sustainability. In fact, MSC certified fisheries have to take measures to protect other species and the wider ocean environment. Here’s an example of an American shrimp fishery that uses LED lights on its nets to avoid unwanted catch of other fish found in the shrimp’s habitat. This low-tech change reduced bycatch by up to 82%!
2. Every purchase of MSC blue fish labeled products supports more sustainable fisheries. 5% of proceeds of MSC labeled seafood, like our Salmon Oil, goes toward the Ocean Stewardship Fund which grants funds to innovative research and supports fisheries at all stages on the path to sustainability. In the two years of the funds’ existence, MSC has awarded $1.8 million in grants to projects around the world.
3. Research shows that healthy fish populations are more resilient to change, which is of growing importance in the face of climate change. Bonus: wild-caught seafood is a low carbon protein option.
4. Seafood is good for your health, according to the Seafood Nutrition Partnership, and the real risk is “not eating enough”.
Throughout October we will be spotlighting what a big blue future means to us here at Vital Pet Life. Together, we can each demand the future we want to see and effect real change so our ocean is healthier tomorrow than it is today.
Let’s celebrate working together for a big blue future and share what you’re doing with the hashtag #BigBlueFuture, and follow MSC on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook on the handle @MSCBlueFish.