Did you know that 11% to 23% of veterans have experienced PTSD within a given year after deployment? That's why it's so important to raise awareness about the emotional needs of veterans and provide them with the support they need. On Pets for Veterans Day, we honor our brave servicemen and women by sharing awareness about how having a furry friend can provide some of the healing they need.
Pets For Vets
Pets can provide companionship, love, and support to those who have served our country, and we are so grateful for the organizations that pair service animals with veterans. Petsforvets.com helps build a bridge to a better life for our service men and women by pairing them with the right pet from a shelter.
When a Veteran is matched with the right pet, it benefits both parties. The Veteran saves an animal's life and provides him/her with a loving home. In return, the pet eases the stress and emotional burdens that often come with veterans, such as depression, loneliness, and anxiety. Together, they share an indescribable bond that gives them both a whole new outlook on life.
Veterans paired with A.C.E trained animals improve each other's lives in countless ways. Studies have shown that caring for a pet can promote responsibility and routine. The need to walk the dog will encourage outdoor activities and sun exposure, which are known to uplift mood. The companionship of a pet can alleviate loneliness, stress, and anxiety and reduces blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride. The impacts may not just be emotional and psychological but also physiological.
National Pets For Veterans Day Activities
We can do many things to celebrate this day and our veterans.
- Spread awareness of the emotional needs of veterans and assist them in transitioning back into civilian life.
- Visit a VA facility and thank the Veterans yourself. It's important to remember and honor our Veterans as often as possible.
- Volunteering at a local animal shelter or rescue organization.
- Help raise awareness of how many animals in shelters could make wonderful pets.
- Donate or raise funds for organizations that pair service animals with veterans.
- Sharing your pets for Veterans Day stories and photos on social media using the hashtag #PetsForVets.
And that's why Pets for Veterans Day is a day to share awareness about how having a furry friend can provide some of the healing they need. So if you know someone suffering from PTSD, reach out and see how you can help. Support your local veterans by donating to pet shelters or volunteering at breed-specific rescues. With your help, we can make sure no veteran suffers alone. #petsforvets @vitalpetlife